Planted in 1902, the Longuicher Herrenberg vineyard is a higher section of un-grafted vines, grown on devonian slate soils with volcanic incusions which make the soil appear red. Fermented spontaneously in old 1200 liter Mosel fuder.
The Carl Loewen estate dates back to 1803 when an agent in Paris purchased a set of vineyards and buildings owned by the Maximin order. This sale was part of an auction used to generate money for the Napoleonic government after secularization. An agent made a purchase which included the Maximiner Klosterlay, Maximin Grunhaus in the Ruwer, and Maximiner Herrenberg in Longuich. Interestingly, the purchase also included an administration building for the Maximin order that was sold to the Piedmont family in Filzen. Today, this is the family home and shares architectural details with the house at Grunhaus. The agent then split up the properties and sold them piece by piece to generate more money. It is for this reason that the Grunhaus today includes such large blocks in the Abtsberg – that property was sold to a single family, the vom Schuberts. The Maximin Klosterlay was the first site acquired by the Loewen Family in 1805.
Weingut Carl Loewen has grown over the past three generations from 1ha to 15 today. The estate is currently run by Christopher Loewen and his father Karl-Josef. In the late 1980s and 1990s, Karl -Josef was always looking for old vineyards and grew the Estate by purchasing steep old vineyards (low yielding) that no one wanted to work anymore. Now the estate is spread over 4 villages – Leiwen, Longuich, Detzem, and Thörnich. More than 50% of the holdings are ungrafted, very old vines, from 60-120 years old, and on steep slopes.